Current Lake Resources
Click the link below to access the Chautauqua Lake Association’s Work Reports.
Click the link below to access the Chautauqua Lake Association’s Weekly Work Plans.
Visit the links below to view current and historical data from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) for Chautauqua Lake level at Bemus Point, discharge and gauge height on the Chadakoin River in Falconer, and precipitation in Mayville.
- USGS Chautauqua Lake Gauge at Bemus Point, NY
- USGS Chadakoin River Gauge at Falconer, NY
- USGS Rain Gage at Mayville, NY
Visit the link below to view current and historic online weather and climate data provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Weather Service. Select “Jamestown Area” under the first “Location” menu to view data near Chautauqua Lake.
Visit the link below to view Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) resources, including the 2018 NYS HAB Action Plan for Chautauqua Lake.
Other Lake Resources
The 2012 TMDL for Chautauqua Lake sets guidelines for phosphorus reductions with in the lake and watershed.
The 2013 Dredging Feasibility Study for Chautauqua Lake evaluates the feasibility of a dredging project on Chautauqua Lake.
The Macrophyte Management Strategy (MMS) provides a set of guidelines for the management of macrophytes in Chautauqua Lake.
- 2017 Macrophyte Management Strategy (MMS) Executive Summary
- 2017 MMS Part 1
- 2017 MMS Part 2
- 2017 MMS Appendix 1
In 2020 the US Army Corps of Engineers led a pilot test on Chautauqua Lake of its innovative HAB removal technology called the Harmful Algal Bloom Interception, Treatment, and Transformation System (HABITATS).
2018 Chautauqua Lake Herbicide Treatment Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (FSEIS). The lead agency was the Town of Ellery and the Chautauqua Lake Partnership was the sponsor.
- 2018 Chautauqua Lake Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS)
- 2018 Chautauqua Lake SEIS Appendices
2019 E&E White Paper for Chautauqua Lake Macrophyte Management
- Summary of Methods for Control of Aquatic Invasive and Nuisance Plants with Special Emphasis on Eurasian Watermilfoil (Myrophillum spicatum) and Curly-leaf Pondweed (Potamogeton crispus)
The 2021 Chautauqua Lake Memorandum of Understanding is a statement of the intent of all participants to work collaboratively and in good faith to achieve the common goal of an ecologically and economically healthy Chautauqua Lake.
- 2021 Chautauqua Lake Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) *(Please contact the Alliance with questions regarding this document)
This web page is an introduction to invasive aquatic macrophytes both within Chautauqua Lake and outside of Chautauqua Lake.
A Field Guide of Native Aquatic Macrophyte Species Found in Chautauqua Lake along with Current and Potential Non-Natives Species authored by Racine-Johnson Aquatic Ecologists can be found on the Chautauqua Lake Association’s website at the link below.
The Chautauqua Lake Watershed Stormwater Toolkit and Chautauqua Lake Watershed Municipal Stormwater Regulation guidebook cover topics including best management practices, permitting, laws and regulation, and points of contact for entities contemplating projects within the watershed. These documents were prepared by the Chautauqua Watershed Conservancy, Chautauqua County and other partners.
- 2021 Chautauqua Lake Watershed Stormwater Toolkit
- Chautauqua Lake Watershed Municipal Stormwater Regulations
The 2010 Chautauqua Lake Watershed Management Plan identifies strategies and recommendations to protect and improve water quality in Chautauqua Lake and its Watershed.
- 2010 Chautauqua Lake Watershed Management Plan Part 1
- 2010 Chautauqua Lake Watershed Management Plant Part 2
- 2010 Chautauqua Lake Watershed Management Plan Part 3
This is a link to a variety of sewage management plans for Chautauqua Lake.
The Village of Lakewood-Town of Busti Stormwater Management Engineering Study develops recommended improvements to address stormwater quality and quantity.
Hard Copy/PDF (Contact Us)
The Erosion Diagnosis and Mitigation Study for Goose and Dutch Hollow Creeks is an in-depth analysis of both stream systems which identifies sources of erosion within these systems.
- 2014 Erosion Diagnosis and Mitigation Study for Goose and Dutch Hollow Creeks